At a meeting of the congregation held on October 11, 1903 it was decided to “build a church as soon as we are ready”. The congregation was ready. St. Luke Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized in 1903 when they called upon Reverend Wm. Nommensen who was serving St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Mauston to come and serve them. He accepted and St. Luke became a sister church to them.
When St. Luke was originally started, there were 36 communicant members. By 2000, the church building was no longer large enough. At a meeting of the congregation held in 2000, it was decided to “build a church as soon as we are ready”. The congregation was ready. The time had come. Construction began in 2002 and in the fall of 2003 the congregation moved in.
What was once a hope and prayer in 1903 and again in 2000, was once again a reality in 2003. In 2004 an early childhood program called “Leap of Faith” was started which accepts children 4 weeks to 12 years old. Then in 2010 an addition was built to the church to accommodate our increasing number of children in Leap of Faith. St. Luke Lutheran Church and Leap of Faith are located at 208 Allen Road in New Lisbon.
To find out more about WELS click on the link below.